MATH-399N Week 4 Discussion: Discrete Probability Variables
Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: Chapter 4 (All Sections)
- Minimum of 1 scholarly source
Initial Post Instructions
Topic: Poisson Probability Distribution
The Poisson Distribution is a discrete probability distribution where the number of occurrences in one interval (time or area) is independent of the number of occurrences in other intervals.
April Showers bring May Flowers!! Research the "Average Amount of Days of Precipitation in April" for a city of your choice.
In your initial post,
- Introduce the City and State. Let us know a fun fact!
- Tell us the average number of days of precipitation in that city for the month of April.
- Cite your Source
- What is the probability of having exactly 10 days of precipitation in the month of April?
- What is the probability of having less than three days of precipitation in the month of April?
- What is the probability of having more than 15 days of precipitation in the month of April?
Write a sentence for each of the probabilities explaining what those probabilities mean in context of days of precipitation in your chosen city.
Follow-Up Post Instructions
Respond to at least one peer. Further the dialogue by providing more information and clarification.
Here are suggested responses—
- After reviewing the post of a peer, are you surprised by the probabilities? Why or why not?
- Compare and contrast the probabilities of one post to the city that you analyzed. Why do you think the probabilities differ greatly or are so similar?
- Minimum of 2 posts (1 initial & 1 follow-up)
- APA format for in-text citations and list of references
This activity will be graded using the Discussion Grading Rubric. Please review the following link:
- Link (webpage): Discussion Guidelines